Child Licensing

Original on Transparent.png

Performance licences and supervision for children

A child may need a licence if they’re under school leaving age and taking part in:

  • films, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, or that take place on licensed premises

  • any sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid

The client or person in charge of running the event must apply to the child’s local council for a child performance licence.


Sometimes we are required to gather all the relevant paperwork from parents, it is important these requests for information are responded to with haste. Some local authorities can complete a licence in 24 hours and some as long as 14 days

To obtain  child performance licence the following paperwork is required;

  • Part 1 of licence form (client to complete)

  • Part 2 of licence form (parent to complete)

  • Signed self certified medical declaration (parent to complete)

  • School letter from the head teacher to authorise the day from school (parent to obtain)

  • 2x passport photographs

  • Copy of birth certificate or passport

The above list of paperwork is then  presented to your local authority for the licence. Applications are always made to the local authority that the child currently lives in.

A school letter is required to if the work is during school hours and your child will be missing school time. A letter of authority is required from the school to agree to the absence.

You will only need to complete this application process when your child is offered the job as working dates need to be included on the application forms.

For Portsmouth LA Actors the licence is only valid for the one job, (unfortunately) the process is repeated every time.
Hampshire LA  will offer an open licence for the year. This therefore means that only the client needs to complete part one of the form for each job.

Visit our download page for useful forms

Please do not worry about obtaining a child performance licence we are happy to guide you and help with forms!



Other Helpful links

The following government link will put you in contact with your local authority

The following government link supplies more information regarding child performance and regulations that may be useful to read

Legislations are in place to protect all child performers, please view the latest 2014 act here: 

National Network for Child Employment & Entertainment are the only National organisation solely dedicated to the continual development and implementation of ‘good practice’ issues for children engaged in employment and taking part in public performances.

You can also find more advice on the government website, government guidance; Child performance and activities

  • MATalentUK Instagram
  • MATalentUK Facebook
  • MATalentUK Twitter
  • MATalentUK Youtube
Actor Login

Marie Amey Talent Management (MATalentUK) is a boutique agency representing child and young actors from Portsmouth, Hampshire and the South of England.

© 2019 Marie Amey Talent Management